Skip to main content

'Wonderful Life' Tops AFI's Inspiring Film List

'Wonderful Life' Tops Inspiring Film List

I honestly have never gotten this pic. All I've ever seen is a gleeful embrace of taking the blue pill. A veritable paean to rigid conformity. "That's it, George… give up your dreams and everything you've ever wanted for yourself. Everyone else will be better off for it! Conform, baby, conform!" Inspiring my… foot.

Must I point out that the people handing us this modern-day fable were, arguably, all living their dreams? Actors, writers, directors… no one gets into those jobs "just to pay the bills." (Look at this, I'm reduced to actor bashing, a petty pastime I detest, by this movie!) But they're the one's selling us this utopian conformity ideal.

I hate It's a Wonderful Life. There, I've said it.

Damn, I'm a cynic. Or maybe just incredibly selfish. But at least I'm honest about it.
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
OMG! I have said this forever. People look at me like I am the meanest person in the world. But I believe this so strongly: It's the saddest movie in the world.

I feel sorry for George. Everything he ever wanted meant nothing. He had to rescue everyone else. This is a wonderful life? For whom? For every single person who couldn't make it on his/her own and had to be saved by George. Poor George couldn't do what he wanted because he had to take care of everyone else.

He gives up college for his brother. Then, when it's George's turn for college, his brother selfishly bails on the family business and doesn't give George his chance even though it was because of George that he went at all. Sure, he does great things in the war, but again, at George's expense.

Yes, yes, George had a wonderful life despite never realizing one single dream he had. He had a great family, friends, the respect of the community. But what he really wanted was to build things and travel. I guess it was wonderful that he saved so many people. But come on, couldn't he get one thing he wanted out of life?

Oh well. I guess if had had done these things, he would have been like Nic Cage's character in Family Man(?). His life was so shallow and worthless because he did not have a family.

You are the only other person I have ever heard say this. I knew we were friends for a reason!

Chris
Cyfiere said…
Ain't it the truth! I know we're in the minority here, but at least we know we're not alone, right?