Skip to main content

Cars

I always like it when my opinions get validated, especially when it happens so quickly after I state them. I just didn't quite expect it to be validated quite this way.

Pixar's latest, Cars, opened a couple of weeks ago and was, of course, a huge hit. Millions flocked, more millions were made and everybody left happy 'cause Pixar had done it again.

So I was rather surprised, when I finally went to check it out, to find out how safe Cars really was. It's not just the Doc Hollywood storyline (although that doesn't help), but it seemed like the most formulaic and unoriginal of any of Pixar's films. They even sink so low as to embrace that most tired of Disney animation formulas, the music montage. (And not once, but twice! If you stay for the credits, you get a second montage for your viewing "pleasure".) This from the guys that stood their ground when making Toy Story when the Disney suits asked where the songs were.

It's not like it's a bad movie. It was certainly entertaining and had it's amusing moments. Art direction was, of course, the star… I especially liked the way the desert scenery was carved into classic car silhouettes. But I've come to expect that from Pixar. Unfortunately, I also expect wit and invention and surprises from them, and those were sadly lacking. Maybe it's The Incredibles that set the bar too high.

So when I said that the medium shouldn't impact the storytelling, I was thinking that it meant traditional/2D animation didn't have to be formulaic or uninteresting, not that 3D animation should embrace those tired old formulas. It's kinda sad, really.
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
TOY STORY 2 has a music montage. TOY STORY has a semi-montage...but, it's definitely a musical interlude representing an emotional high point.

And, those are arguably the two best Pixar films. THE INCREDIBLES does set the bar very high.

I thought CARS had some great,inventive ideas. Just the balls to have a movie completely full of non-humanistic characters is amazing to me. The major weakness I thought it had was that there just isn't enough laughs. Particularly through the middle.

Q
Cyfiere said…
I don't remember a montage in TS2, but it's been forever since I last watched it. Maybe it was having the characters break into song that Pixar was avoiding (which they managed to avoid here, as well). I guess it was just that the montage was so rote… I'm sure there's a style guide somewhere for how to produce a movie montage, and they followed it to a "t".

I'm seeing Superman today.