Skip to main content

Finally! New Music I Like!

Between nü-metal, emo and god only knows what other tedious music trend I've been suffering through the past couple of years, I have lately been pleasantly surprised to find new music on the radio that I'm actually interested in listening to! (Not that it's been all bad—I doubt I've have discovered anything as interesting as The Dresden Dolls if I wasn't bored by everything else I was hearing.)

The Raconteurs
Jack White finds a bassist! And a few other bandmates and kicks up this cool side project. "Steady, As She Goes" is the track getting airplay right now, but I'm liking every track on this album so far. They also get props for one of the most entertainingly retro websites I've seen. No mouse, please… you're in the land of DOS.

She Wants Revenge
These guys sound like they got stuck in the Rock of the 80's aisle at the local record store for too long, and would sound right at home fronting for the like of Depeche Mode or the Cure. But that's part of the attraction, as far as I'm concerned. The other part are songs like "Tear You Apart", with some of the best "so wrong they're right" lyrics around.

Blue October
This one's easy. "Hate Me" is one of the most searingly brilliant songs about the aftermath of addiction ever. I wish Justin the best with his recovery, but his addictions and torments have led to some great songwriting. These guys have been around a while and have four other albums out, so I may have to look for more of their stuff. But every track on this latest album, Foiled, is well worth the price of admission.

And just this week, I heard this very cool song by a group called Muse. The song is "Knights of Cydonia" from their upcoming album Black Holes & Revelations. I can't wait to get a listen to the rest of this one.

Ah, the drought is over… let's hope the flood continues.
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
All I listen to lately is STADIUM ARCADIUM. I've been a RHCP fan since the '80's.

Q
Cyfiere said…
Yeah... All I've heard from Stadium is Danny California, but the Peppers do rock.