Skip to main content

EW Doesn't Like Brett Ratner

(To be honest, it's more that Entertainment Weekly's interviewer, Neil Drumming was unimpressed with Brett Ratner. But let's face it, it's always more fun to be inflammatory.)

Entertainment Weekly recently ran this preview of the new X-Men movie. Primarily, it's a profile of Brett Ratner, and all the pressure he's under directing this third film in the franchise.

Throughout the article, there are little indications of Drumming's attitude. Lines like "Try as he may… he can't seem to get on the good side of the press these days" and "somehow managing to sound both cocky and earnest" aren't exactly gushing with admiration, although that may be clearer in hindsight.

When it really becomes obvious that Drumming was not a fan of Mr. Ratner's is in the closing of the article. The last few paragraphs detail Ratner aggressively navigating an LA parking structure and bursting into traffic…
"I'm going to the Mission: Impossible III premiere with Maggie Q," Ratner boasts. "The hottest girl in the movie."

He's minutes away from the theater when his girlfriend, Alina, calls. Still smarting from all the Lohan gossip, Ratner opts to dodge the bullet and emphasize his other date.

"Baby, I'm going to the premiere of Mission: Impossible right now," he says over the phone. "I'm going with my new friend Neil. Maggie Q asked me to go with her and I said no because I didn't want you to get mad at me… Neil from Entertainment Weekly, the magazine… I just told you: NEIL. He's a man."
In the space of three short paragraphs, he manages to show Ratner as an arrogant, self-centered SOB, blatantly lying to his girlfriend IN FRONT OF A REPORTER (so he's apparently not too bright, either.) And, of course, Ratner's girlfriend is going to see this, so he managed to burn him there as well.

Good work, Neil. I'm impressed. Seriously.
 

Comments