Skip to main content

Worst title ever?

Maybe a bit extreme, but seriously… Failure to Launch? Knowing full well from the posters that it had to be a romantic comedy, I had first assumed that something called "failure to launch" would have the main character a pilot or astronaut or something, and the "failure" was an allegory for his emotional problems.

I guess I was over-thinking things there. No, he's 35 and lives with his parents so his "failure to launch" is his failure to launch himself out of the nest, I guess? (Now that I think about it, any kind of thinking here could be considered over-thinking.)

Even Dani, who likes Matthew McConaughey, Sarah Jessica Parker AND romantic comedies (not necessarily in that order) wants nothing to do with this one. And that's gotta be saying something.

Of course, judging from this last month's worth of box office horror, I wouldn't be surprised to see it roll in boat-loads of cash by Monday. God, what a thought.

Postscript: 3/13/06

Ok, did I get that right, or what?

I honestly thought The Shaggy Dog (Tim Allen in another family friendly film? How could it miss!) or The Hills Have Eyes (exceedingly gory horror flick? Who isn't up for that?) could trump Failure, but no, the moviegoing public once again stepped up and lived down to expectations:

'Failure to Launch' Rockets Past Remakes

I guess "mediocre romantic comedy" was on the menu for this weekend. Not that either of these other choices were necessarily better choices, mind you.
 

Comments