Skip to main content

So what would Kerry do?

In my "Let's hear it for George" post the other day, I was asked what I thought Kerry would have done differently if elected. I granted that I didn't know much that he would have done, or could have done, differently, but I did mention a couple of things that I thought would be a good start (no illegal wiretaps and no Donald Rumsfeld, for instance.)

I think I can add a couple more items to the list of things I would hope a different President wouldn't be doing in 2006…

Bush reaffirms first-strike policy, calls Iran biggest possible threat

The idea that "pre-emptive war" is legal (as I've heard it quoted on the news today) is a questionable one, at best, as far as I'm concerned. And the fact that this is part of our national security policy I find nearly as reassuring as our old "we're not taking a nuclear first-strike option off the table" policy during the cold war.

And for those of you wondering if the President could really be agitating for a war with Iran at this point, I think the answer is obvious (if there really had been any doubt). Maybe they figure, since we're gonna be there for the long haul in Iraq, we might as well take care of things in Iran as well.

Suffice it to say, our foreign policy scares the crap out of me.
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't know what Kerry would do...but, as a follower of the Kennedy tradition, I imagine he would favor pre-emptive war as a legal option. If for no other reason, then the fact that it is a sabre-rattling diplomatic tool to be used effectively.

Eisenhower and later Kennedy established pre-emptive war as legal. The October Missile Crisis is an example of pre-emptive war in action. Bush is simply bringing it up to put Iran on notice. We won't be going to war with Iran, and neither Bush, Rumsfeld, or Kerry want to. But, Iran must know that we won't screw around. If any nuclear device they build (and, these devices are as traceable as DNA) is ever found in anyone's hands other than Iran, we (or Israel, or both) will blow them off the face of the planet. It's basic deterrent policy, and it is necessary in order to keep Iran in check. They can't leak a nuclear device to Al Qaeda and later say, "Woops! It was a mistake!" Because no excuses will be accepted. They will pay the price. They have been put on notice: you want to be a nuclear nation? You have to take responsibility.

Now, after that 'lecture' (sorry) about foreign policy and nuclear deterrent, I have to wonder about your comment, "Suffice it to say, our foreign policy scares the crap out of me." I would urge you to read up on what our policy is and what is behind it, because your fear of an attack on Iraq is not an educated fear. It's a fear based upon popular beliefs and propaganda. Few, if any, experts believe we can or will do anything to stop Iran from building nukes. Just like we didn't stop N. Korea and we didn't stop Pakistan. They will have them, and the world (led by us) will have to police them.
Cyfiere said…
With any other administration, I'd probably agree with you. And I'm willing to grant that taking a strong stand is a necessity. But I'm suffering from a strong lack of faith in the idea that our current administration operates under the logical constraints that you mention.

Maybe I should have been more specific as to what scares the hell out of me.