Skip to main content

The Man Behind The Curtain

A couple of week's ago in an email debate, I self-mockingly called myself "paranoid" when discussing Dick Cheney and calling him the power behind Bush's throne. (My friends, both on the conservative side, were talking about how you haven't seen the VP much recently and wondering if he was out of favor with Dumbya. I commented that you never see him much, that he's the most invisible VP in recent memory and remarked that it's because he's really the one that's been pulling Bush's strings. They went on with the discussion, ignoring my remarks, which left me disparaging my own comments as paranoid.)

The very next day, I happened to walk past a newstand and see that week's US News & World Report and, on the cover, a picture of Dick Cheney with the title "The Man Behind The Curtain". Gotta say, I did feel a bit reassured that I'm not simply being paranoid and that others share that opinion. (Hmm, I guess this qualifies as more synchronicity. I hadn't realized that til just now.)

I didn't get a chance to pick up the magazine, but just downloaded a copy of the article from the US News website (I don't recommend their site for news archives… apparently they've got chimpanzees doing their programming, as the article downloads without text-wrapping, so you've got to scroll across the screen to read it. A real pain. And, at $2.95 per article, a pricey pain.)

After reading the article, I have to say that my relief at seeing my opinion ratified by others was short lived. I knew I was afraid of that man and his power. I just didn't realize how afraid I should be.

A few samples from the article:
“He is the president’s closest, most trusted confidential adviser, and he’s also the president’s closest and most trusted agent…” says a senior White House official.

A senior adviser to a former Republican president adds: “Cheney is not always right, but he’s always certain.

…That kind of certitude unsettles even some in the administration, including officials at the State Department, who see the world in shades of gray rather than in Cheney’s stark vision of black and white.


And, the one I "enjoy" the most:

Cheney keeps the TV news switched on all day, mostly watching the Fox network. Bush disdains TV news.

(and yes, I am well aware that I'm quoting other people's opinions about Cheney. But they are telling opinion, imho.)

So, we've got a President who really doesn't care to keep informed on his own and a VP (who is the President's most trusted advisor) whose favorite news source is the doggedly Right-leaning Fox News and who "may not always be right, but is always certain."

Now I'm REALLY going to sleep well.

Comments