Skip to main content

And while I'm talking about commercials...

I often wish that I had Dani's ability to just tune out commercials. I'll mention which ever one is bugging me lately, and she'll just look at me like I've lost my mind, then shrug and tell me she hasn't heard it.

Along with the movie spots that are making my head spin, there's the ultra-annoying Ikea "stream of consciousness" ads that are in heavy rotation lately. An apparently typical vacuous Ikea shopper gets her latest Ikea catalog and we're treated to 60 seconds of her inane stream-of-consciousness ramblings, inspired by all the wonderful things she sees in the catalog.

Makes you wonder what kind of target demographic Ikea is shooting for, 'cause god knows there's no way I want to be associated with that kind of vapid mental meandering.

In a way, it kind of reminds me of a recent HBO campaign. In it, zombified HBO viewers treat their friends and relatives with disdain and contempt if they dare to utter a sound while our zombie spokesperson is watching HBO. Unlike most commercials, where using the advertisers product is supposed to make your life somehow better and something to be envied by those that "have not", it would seem that these HBO watchers have been reduced to something rather sub-human, presumably a side-effect of their many hours of HBO watching. I just wonder why HBO would want to insult its viewers by implying that HBO turns them into pod people.
 

Comments