Skip to main content

Stuperstores?

I couldn't pass this one up! In my most recent post, I started to refer to Borders and Barnes and Noble as "superstores." In an interestingly Freudian slip of the fingers, what I actually typed was "stuperstore."

Acknowledging that "stupor" is spelled with an "o" rather than an "e" I found the construction really amusing. And so, felt the need to call it out and even attempt to define it…

Stuperstore: any large, blandly generic, overly sanitized store which strives to provide a "comprehensive" shopping experience, while depriving the consumer of any of the personality and unique qualities that make shopping anything more than a chore or duty.

That definition is surely a work in progress, so feel free to contribute clarifications or alternate suggestions and I'll incorporate them as the mood strikes me.
 

Comments