Skip to main content

Cineplex From Hell

I wish I could lay claim to that title, but that's what they referred to the weekend's box office as on KROQ this morning, and it was just TOO accurate.

Weekend Box Office Results, February 24-26, 2006

Admittedly, I haven't seen any of these (nor am I likely to!), so I'm judging them simply on the trailers I've seen. Since trailers are what are supposed to get you into the theatre to see the movie, I'm going to bet that, if I can't stand the trailer, I'm not going to like the movie. (Rotten Tomatoes rankings in parentheses.)

Tyler Perry's Madea's Family Reunion (30%)
Tyler Perry has a huge following. It can't have anything to do with his acting or writing abilities.

Eight Below (72%)
One of those "based on a true story" animal films that I've just got no interest in, nor time for.

The Pink Panther (20%)
I really like Steve Martin, but in recent years, he's apparently forgotten how to be funny. This doesn't look like it's reversing that trend.

Date Movie (8%)
Seriously… did you see that ranking? Do I need to say more?

Curious George (70%)
No kids in the house, so no need to subject myself to a theatre full of screaming rug-rats. Besides, the animation style does nothing for me.

Firewall (18%)
As with Steve Martin, Ford seems to have lost his "this is a good project" sense. How else to explain Hollywood Homicide and this trainwreck. And, of course, the "See the new Chrysler 300" ad campaign, which makes it clear who the real star of the movie must be.

And, lest we forget…
Big Momma's House 2 (6%)
Because, apparently, America can't get enough of black men in drag. How is it possible that this looks even less funny than the original, and yet it's rolling in the box office?

There's a certain sad irony to the fact that this crap is out there making tons of money the week before the Oscars.
 

Comments