Skip to main content

Turn your back for just a couple 'a days…

…and watch what happens!

I go on vacation and don't post for a few days (okay, maybe a week or more!) and today I got an email from a friend, telling me that they're advertising Bush '04 junk and the Republican National Committee on my blog site! Normally, I don't even pay attention to banner ads, so, I check it out and, sure enough, as I hit refresh, up come the RNC ads, Bush in '04 ads, Ashcroft vs. Greenpeace ads… and, underneath the ads is a line for related searches and "ads powered by Google".

So what I assume is happening is Google (which now owns Blogger) does a keyword search on the contents of the blogs it's hosting. Then it displays ads based on these keywords. So, every time I mouth off about Dubya, the current administration, the political right and other such things that annoy my liberal heart (I tried real hard there not to include any obvious keywords for Google to work off of!) I could end up promoting the very thing I'm ranting about! How's THAT for insidious!

So, in the interest of tweaking the banner ads, at least for the next few days, here a few things that I've been enjoying and wouldn't mind promoting in banner ads…

Lord of the Rings

Lord of the Rings

Lord of the Rings (okay, so I'm really liking the movies!)

The Fellowship of the Ring

The Two Towers

Return of the King

J.R.R. Tolkien
(Ok, enough Tolkien for now!)

Love, Actually

Kill Bill

Cold Mountain (Ok, I haven't seen it yet, but I'm going to!)

Big Fish (ditto)

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (screw the movies, come play Jedi in THIS game!)

Prince of Persia, the Sands of Time

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne

Neverwinter Nights

Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Frodo, Samwise, Pippin, Merry, Arwen, Eowen, The Nazgul…
Ok, so I'm back to LotR, so sue me!

That should do it for now. Let's see what they come up with from THAT list!

Comments