Skip to main content

Might as well bash some TV as well…

Well, actually, it's a TV ad, so I'm kind of on a run here. I've heard the opinion that the sitcom is dead as an art form (that, of course, presumes that the sitcom was an art form in the first place, but that's beside the point). This may just be proof of that:

They've been running an ad for the new Tracy Morgan show all day. And, as is the norm with sitcom ads, they're playing a clip of one of those "wacky" sitcom moments guaranteed to make you want to tune in. (Yeah, right.)

The set-up is Mom telling the kids that their aunt (or some such female relative/friend of the family) is coming over to babysit them. The kids complain because she's got a lazy eye and one of them remarks that they never know who she's looking at (or something similar. Remember, think wacky!). Dad then jumps in and tells them not to make fun of her eye, that she lost her husband because of that eye. He thought… wait for it… she was seeing someone on the side! (See, because she's got this lazy eye!)

All I can say is COME ON PEOPLE! Is this the Catskills? Somebody dug up Henny Youngman's old joke writer? (And yes, I realize you probably would REALLY have to dig him up.) I mean, that joke was probably old when Bob Hope was a kid! And this is the stuff they figure they're selling the show with? What the hell can the rest of the show be like if this is the high point? (Actually, read some of the synopses on the website and you'll know what kind of show to expect. Then just stay far away—you'll thank me for it.)

And, just to add insult to injury, they've been following this inane ad with the KFC "boo-ket" ad all afternoon, so I get a double-helping of stupid.

I'm going to have to find something else to listen to while I'm at work. I feel myself getting dumber every second I'm exposed to this stuff.

Comments