Skip to main content
My Shakespeare moment at the movies today…
 
As I sat through the seemingly interminable mess of destruction that is the first third of Terminator 3, I couldn’t help but think of William Shakespeare’s famous movie review…
 
“…it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”

(That’s from Macbeth, act V: sc 5,in case you were wondering.)
 
Admittedly, Will was actually talking about life here and applying this line to anything as banal as the ephemera passing itself off as movies this summer is really trivializing the sentiment behind the quote, but it really just seems to sum it all up for me.
 
(I do have to say that the ending of T3 really surprised me and was probably the perfect ending for that film, so it went a long way toward saving the film for me.)
 
But I’ve come to the realization that lately I understand a lot more about writing and storytelling and what works and does not work for me. I simply don’t have any more patience for scenes, acts, moments or effects that don’t serve some purpose in the story.
 
I think I'm in for a long, disappointing summer.

Comments