Skip to main content

Premiere is dead. Long live… Us Weekly?!?

I saw an article in the LA Times a few weeks ago about the demise of Premiere Magazine, so it wasn't a surprise last week when I got a postcard, notifying me that the April issue was the last one to be published. But finding out that they were going to finish out my subscription with issues of Us Weekly did come as a bit of a surprise. I mean, seriously… Us Weekly?

I know they blamed the end of Premiere (at least, the physical magazine—it apparently lives on on the web) on the rise of the gossip mags and websites. But can you really compare Premiere's movie coverage with… well, whatever it is Us Weekly actually covers? Frankly, the first issue arrived the other day… I took one glance at the cover and tossed it aside. Apparently, nothing stuck with me, since I can't remember a single item on the cover now.

I have an interesting knack for "discovering" new magazines just in time for them to go out of business. PC Accelerator, Cinescape, Iniquities… each of these folded within my first year of subscribing to them. I'd read Premiere for a while back in the 90's, then let the subscription lapse. But I'd just recently subscribed again. Good timing.

Maybe I'm a curse. Magazines should hope I don't subscribe!

I can comfort myself with the thought that, since Premiere was a monthly, and Us Weekly is, well, weekly, I won't have to put up with too many more issues. Of course, I could subscribe and see what happens! AH, a chance to use my power for good!
 

Comments