Skip to main content

Well, he's half right

Early this morning, KROQ played a clip of Bush, campaigning here in California, urging people to pay attention to how members of Congress voted on The Military Commissions Act (you know, the one that says it's okay to use torture and to ignore the Geneva Convention), Cheney's domestic spying bill and other "anti-terrorism" legislation recently acted on in Congress, in preparation for going to the polls in November.

He suggests that you pay attention to how your Senators and Representatives voted, and which party they belong to, and vote accordingly.

And frankly, as I said, I think he's got it half right. You absolutely should pay attention to how your senators and reps voted on bills like this.

And then, no matter which freaking party they belong to, vote the motherfuckers out. The Constitution may not be a "suicide pact" as the President's Press Secretary famously stated shortly after 9/11, but neither is it the nuisance that his administration seems to feel it is. And if we can't respect it and protect it in the midst of this f'ing war, than what the hell are we going to have left when we're done?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Voting for this bill OR against it was, unfortunately, all about politics and not about safety or anything else.

Frankly, I like much of the bill. I think torture and unlawful combatants and other terms needed to be defined by America. We are in a war with a very unconventional enemy.

However, how on earth did they slip in something that eliminates habeas corpus?? Now, I have no problem denying habeas corpus to someone they find crawling around Iraq or Afghanistan with IDE materials. But, this "law" denies it to ANYONE they want to call a 'terrorist'. Including US citizens.

I am waiting for the Supreme Court to strike that shit down. I haven't read it...maybe there are more details than I am aware of. But, unless it specifically does not apply to US Citizens I can't see it being anything other than unconstitutional.

Q
Cyfiere said…
That's my understanding as well, and my main issue.

It's SO much a political move. I assume that most of those that voted for it did so because they don't want to appear soft on terrorism (and get painted by Bush's ugly "anti-American" brush) and figured the Supreme Court would throw it out eventually. I think I find that even more contemptible than those that voted for it and honestly think it's the right course to take.
Anonymous said…
I hate you. Now I have to read the damn thing. Why do I know you two? I have other things to do!