Skip to main content

Maybe the best news I've heard in a while

"We've been working as hard as we know how to work - everyone in youth ministry is working hard - but we're losing."
Ron Luce, an evangelical activist on fears of a steep decline in the number of young churchgoers.
Evangelicals Fear the Loss of Their Teenagers - New York Times

Maybe if there are fewer teens getting indoctrinated by ultraconservative evangelicals, we'll get a little more common sense in future generations.

I can dream, can't I?
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't know if the loss of teenagers in church is such a thing to celebrate. There are actually some religious principles that are positive--you know, the silly ones, thou shalt not kill, etc. And too, a belief in god isn't always such a bad thing either. I, unlike you, had a good experience with various churches. Though I didn't attend catholic high school and my attendance was definitely sporadic.

Chris
Cyfiere said…
I'm not necessarily celebrating teenagers not attending church, per se. I am tired of the narrow-mindedness of the evangelicals and their rigid interpretations of the bible. So anything that decreases their ranks, I'm okay with.
Anonymous said…
I actually think there is a possibility (I hope) that the ranks of evangelicals is shrinking because people are attending friendlier, more open-minded churches.

Church = good. Jesus Camp = not so good. Rosie O'Donnell, "The fanatical Christians are as dangerous to America as fanatical muslims," = ignorant insanity.
Cyfiere said…
That would be a good trend. I'm crossing my fingers.

As for Rosie… well hell, it's Rosie. Ignorant insanity is about as good a definition for her current state as any I've heard. She fell off the deep end somewhere a while back and hasn't climbed out yet.