Skip to main content

Goodbye Norman.

My cat died last night. (If "good riddance" was the first thought that crossed your mind on those words, kindly go away now*.)

It wasn't a surprise… he was ancient (we speculate he was somewhere around 20 years old) and things were starting to fail. He'd been having problems walking for years now, but he was still managing to get around pretty well up until about a month ago or so. He's been on several different drugs for quite a while and he's simply been getting more frail every day.

He'd been to the vet several times in the past few months, and each time I expected him to not come back. The last time we took him in, the doctor even recommended that it might be time to put him to sleep. There was nothing more they could do for him, and it was time to consider his quality of life… he was confined to a small area where he would be safe, with papers lining the floor since he couldn't use a litter box (not that he had much use for it anymore anyway). And we seriously considered it.

But when we got to the vet and looked in on him, he was still aware and crying for attention and we realized it wasn't time yet. I still don't know if that was because I wasn't ready, or he wasn't ready. But we made the choice to bring him home.

More drugs, and more cleaning up after him and spending what time we could with him followed. He lasted another week and I'm still not sure he was ready to give up. But his body was, and we came home last night to find him gone. (Ironically, we'd made an appointment for today to take him back to the vet one last time and have him put to sleep.)

I realize I've just forced anyone reading this to sit through a eulogy for a cat (and not much of a eulogy, I fear). But he's been with me for over 15 years. He was one of the most lovable creatures I've ever known and wanted nothing more than to have someone pay attention to him. (Cat haters out there would have detested him, I'm sure. For the cat haters among us, allow me to reiterate.) And, at 15 years, outside of my family and the one or two friends from high school I still maintain intermittent contact with, he's been a part of my life longer than anyone I know, including my wife.

Much as I knew it was his time, I'm sad to see him go and I will miss him. I just thought these things needed to be said.

(* I picked the link at the top purely for the URL and not the products on it. But they're kind of amusing anyway.)
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Lou,

Sorry to hear about Norman. I'm sure he's up there in kitty heaven having a blast.

Chris