Skip to main content

Post-Election Blogging

Just this week, I discovered blogdex, a "research project of the MIT Media Laboratory tracking the diffusion of information through the weblog community", as they so blithely put it. It's an interesting site, as it tracks the most "popular" blogs of the day, based on the links to those blogs (kind of like the Google method, as I understand it).

As should surprise no one, election fallout is high on the list right now. My favorites right now are these two sites, in heated competition for the most buzz…

Sorry Everybody -- How Can We Make It Up To You?

and

We're Not Sorry

These are both photo-based sites, pictures of people with signs either apologizing for the results of the election, or stating that "we're NOT sorry" about said results.

Not surprisingly (to me), the "we're not sorry" crowd tends toward the "f you!" attitude, trumpeting the themes of freedom & democracy and the idea that voting for Bush was the "courage" vote (because, obviously, if you didn't vote for Bush you're on the side of the terrorists and, at the same time, afraid of them. I'd love to analyze the mindset one of these days, but I'm afraid, you know?)

Meanwhile, the "we're sorry" guys take the world-view attitude that SO annoys the not-sorry crowd. I'm inclined to sympathize with the sentiment, but I also found it a bit sad.

(And why IS it the not-sorry gang are so ready to trot their kids out to promote their theme? I scrolled through a few pages of pics on both sites and saw several pictures of children and infants holding "we're not sorry" signs and nearly none on the "we're sorry" site. Not the first time I've seen this tendency amongst Bushites, either. I find it curious.)

Meanwhile, even higher on the list this week was this little gem…

fuckthesouth.com

A hilariously angry screed against the red states of the South. Helpful? Constructive? Hell no. But it's a pretty amusing read, in a mean-spirited sort of way. I guess sometimes you just have to embrace the bile. (Ugh, what a visual.)

(Of course, once you look at the stats on the blogdex page and realize that these blogs are getting ranked based on maybe 21 links, it does kind of put it all into perspective, huh? And to think, I just gave each of these sites a bump in their rankings! Ah, the power of the Internet!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Why do you hate me?

Chris