Skip to main content

Spam

Just a brief thought here…

I am constantly fascinated by the subject headings in spam emails. Since most of my email programs now provide filters and all the spam ends up in one place, all I've got to do is occasionally browse through to make sure there isn't something there that does belong in my inbox and then hit delete. But while I'm browsing, I do, of course, end up reading a lot of spam subjects.

For a while there, they all seemed to be using some kind of random word generator, one that would capture your first name, or the first few letters of your name, and then throw your name (or one that started with those first few letters) into the subject along with a random grouping of words. Yeah, like "combat tunafish Larry superstar beefcake" is going to make me want to open your email.

Lately, most of the spam I see is just a string of characters that are either from foreign alphabets or scientific or mathematical symbols, or just plain gibberish. Whether that's because the font their using doesn't exist on my computer or because they think that'll fool the spam filters I don't know, but it makes it really easy to breeze through the spam.

But then there are the ones that do actually make sense… I mean, they're actual sentences or complete thoughts. But what the hell makes anyone think that "I farted in my soup" is a subject that's going to turn me on and make me want to open their damn email? This has neither good fart humor nor anything resembling titillation going on here, so it's beyond me, but really… "I farted in my soup"?!? I can't hit delete fast enough.

Comments