Skip to main content

Ah, crap!

You know, I'm a big fan of NASA. I honestly think that space exploration is a great thing and we need to do more of it in the future. So it's really depressing when something like this goes so horribly wrong…

NASA Genesis Mission Info
"The Genesis sample return capsule entered Earth's atmosphere at 9:52:47 a.m. MDT… However, the Genesis capsule, as a result of its parachute not deploying, impacted the ground at a speed of 311 kilometers per hour (193 mph)."

The big question, of course, is whether or not the samples Genesis collected survived the impact. Considering this quote: "The shell had been breached about three inches and I could see the science canister inside and that also appeared to have a small breach", it sounds doubtful.

(Of course, the mean-spirited cynic in me is screaming to point out that, if I REALLY believed in space exploration, then maybe being a NASA fan is my mistake, but hey, I'm not feeling that cynical or mean-spirited at the moment. Well, almost not.)

Comments