Skip to main content

Schadenfreude

I love this word!

Schadenfreude
"Pleasure derived from others' misfortunes."

It appeals to my cynical nature, I guess.

(from, once again, Wordsmith.Org's A.Word.A.Day email list. Always fun and interesting.)

And, while I'm on the subject of the AWAD email, some recent quotes I liked…

The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us.
Paul Valery, poet and philosopher (1871-1945)

I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.
Susan B Anthony, reformer and suffragist (1820-1906)

In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take.
Adlai Stevenson, statesman (1900-1965)

Comments