Skip to main content

Fun with words…

I've got a couple of "word of the day" email newsletters coming to me and, when I got back from vacation last week, found some really fun ones, that I just feel I have to share…

resistentialism
The theory that inanimate objects demonstrate hostile behavior against us.
(This one's from Wordsmith.Org's A Word A Day email list)

God knows I've felt like this often enough! There are days I'm sure my computer hates me and stoplights are always waiting till I approach to turn yellow.

Spinach Cinema
Movies that are not very exciting or interesting, but that one feels one must see because they are educational or otherwise uplifting.
(This one is from The Word Spy's mailing list—They are "devoted to lexpionage, the sleuthing of new words and phrases." A fun site, with great words and phrases popping up all the time.)

Really, how many examples of Spinach Cinema have you seen hitting critics lists each year? I know, I know, I'm showing my populist tendencies here, but I can't help but think of the countless movies I've been told I "have to see!" that I have absolutely NO interest in actually sitting down and watching. I'm probably broadening the definition here, since I know I'm lumping movies in here that don't actually fall into the "uplifting" or educational vein, but it's the same feeling, whether it's "educational", "uplifting" or (shudder!) "meaningful"! Sometimes, I just want to have a little fun, you know?

Comments