Skip to main content

Wait… the Trilateral Commission is REAL?!?

Years ago (more years than I'm willing to cop to today), a couple of my more paranoid friends went off on a RANT about the evils of the Trilateral Commission — this "secret world government" that was responsible for all the evils we, "the common man", experience at the hands of government and big industry. They selected who was going to be elected, what their policies and practices would be, who would succeed and fail… They were the ultimate political bogeyman.

This insanity immediately relegated the Trilateral Commission to a place somewhere between Area 51 and the Illuminati in that whole 'mythical secrets of the modern world' area of my brain.

Last week I googled the Trilateral Commission (I was looking for a reference to one of these mythical constructs) and lo and behold, it exists! Not only that, but all the bugaboos and scary notions that had my friends so worked up ("founded by Rockerfeller", the 'trilateral' American, European and Japanese membership, etc.) were actually factual!

This is not to say that the whole Shadow Government conspiracy theory is accurate simply because they got the superficial facts right. On the contrary, I will continue to assume that it all still remains firmly in the realm of the paranoid (thank you very much).

But it does kinda shine a whole different, and probably scarier, light on my friends' paranoid rantings. I think I'm kinda glad I've lost touch with that group now.
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Q here...

I didn't know there were conspiracy myths surrounding the Trilateral Commission other than the whole 'they put Carter in office' thing that is pretty old and tired by now.

That one came about because he used to be a member, and upon getting elected he appointed a bunch of his old cronies/members to high positions.

But, now I'm curious. I'll have to look up conspiracies surrounding the Commission.
Cyfiere said…
Yeah, the way these guys talked, it was clear that Carter was just one piece of the bigger agenda, and that they'd been influencing our government for years. I don't know how widespread their particular brand of conspiracy theorizing went, but they were pretty convinced.