Skip to main content

Sometimes… I hate LA

Generally, I like living in (and around) LA… there's a ridiculous selection of movies available every week, theatre to be found any time I feel the inclination, the beach nearby, and great restaurants and entertainment options in every direction. (The fact that I may only take advantage of a very few of these things in any given month does not obviate the fact of their existence, or proximity.) And the smog, traffic, idiot/irate drivers and other annoyances that come with living in LA are simply part of the 'cost of doing business' here. I'm a city boy at heart.

But sometimes… I hate LA.

The last time I felt this was when we last visited Seattle, and I discovered the Elliot Bay Book Company. Here, in the heart of Seattle, was this massive, multi-level book store, filled with books. Old books. (And new books, as well.) But a bookstore dedicated to the idea that reading is cool and that, if you look hard enough, you're going to find something you like. There was a huge selection of SF and horror novels, many of which I've never seen, by author's I've yet to discover. And right next to that huge section of SF and horror novels was a large section of USED SF and horror novels, just waiting to be rediscovered. There were sections on lit, bios, history, sports… all the regular categories you'd find in any Borders… but there was something so much cooler about this place and its eclectic selection of books than you would ever experience at any Borders or Barnes and Noble. And when I left, I was depressed, because I knew that there was no chance a place like this could ever exist in LA today.

Today I'm in Middleton, Wisconsin (just outside Madison). I'm here for work, and after two LONG days of meetings, three of us from LA decided to head down to State Street, to check out the sights and get something to eat. We browsed the length of State Street, from the University almost to the Capital and found plenty of restaurants, but nothing really caught our eye.

Then, on the way back, we found The Orpheum Lobby Restaurant and Theatre. The menu looked good, there were some great appetizers in the foyer, and the restaurant itself was set up in the lobby of this old movie palace, with a classic comedy screening on one of the walls of the lobby, and the bar, of course, located where the old snack bar would be. Obviously, this was the place to eat tonight.

Dinner was excellent, with a great selection of local beers to be had. But as we were getting ready to leave, we asked the waitress what they did with the old theatres in the back. And she said they showed movies every night, unless they had a banquet or wedding going on, or a live concert. We were welcome to check it out, if we wanted. So we headed back and walked into a classic old movie theatre, with plush seats that would seat hundreds and a current foreign film screening. After a few minutes gawking at the place, and admiring what we could see of the interior, we walked out, suitably impressed.

As we walked back to the car, I remarked how you'd never be able to find anything like this back home. Everyone wistfully agreed.

Sometimes, I hate LA.
 

Comments