Skip to main content

Maybe I'm missing the point!

Not that I really believe that.

In 2415, There are Still Bad Hair Days

I think the problem with this NY Times review of Aeon Flux is obvious in the first few sentences when the reviewer shows that he's not terribly interested in this film, nor particularly conversant in SF tropes (yes, there's that word again) nor, apparently, willing to put any effort into watching this film in order to understand it. And this is not a film that entails a lot of effort TO understand, if you ask me.

(I just remembered that you have to register with the Times to read their reviews, so to spare you that annoyance, allow me to quote a pertinent example for you:
Why - and, for that matter, how - did Sophie Okonedo replace her feet with hands? Who knew that garter belts, tulle snoods and spandex jumpsuits would come back into fashion in the 25th century? Does Frances McDormand live somewhere in Charlize Theron's digestive tract, and is that why she didn't comb her hair?… But I'm supposed to be reviewing this movie, not simply transcribing the notes I scribbled at a half-empty Times Square theater shortly after breakfast yesterday.
Seems to me that these are not the ramblings of a reviewer that's particularly—connected, shall we say?—to the movie they're reviewing.)

Frankly, I enjoyed the movie. I know, I've got a lower standard for certain types of films than I do for others. I don't expect the depth of character, perhaps, or the emotional honesty that I might from a "serious drama" when I go to see a movie like this. I hope for a good story, and I expect some fun eye candy. I'm looking for a good piece of escapist entertainment, with some fun ideas and concepts running in the background, driving the story.

And I think you got that from Aeon Flux. Sure, it suffers from the "oh so tragically hip" look that seems to be de facto for whatever dystopian future you may come across. It manages to out-Matrix the Matrix when it comes to the pseudo-fetishistic use of leather, and it's the second movie this year with a scene that directly reminds me of the end of Logan's Run (and, considering the first of these was The Island, this may not be the most auspicious comparison).

But it WAS fun, and if you bothered to pay attention and go along for the ride, the story's far from incomprehensible and actually holds together fairly well. I know it was one that I enjoyed and found entertaining.

Of course, if you're not inclined towards SF, or you don't like it if your movie doesn't tell you exactly what's going on every step of the way, or you're just too literal minded to accept the concepts being thrown around (admittedly, sometimes rather randomly) then perhaps this one's not the movie for you.

Comments