Skip to main content

Because, apparently, asking your children to behave makes one a bad person

Angry Moms Boycott Eatery That Asks Kids To Keep Quiet

I used to work in a restaurant in Irvine, and lost count of the number of times parents would come into the restaurant, ask for tables separate from their children and proceed to ignore them as they misbehaved and acted out, under the apparent assumption that it was someone else's job (presumably the waiter's) to mind their children for them.

Maybe because I was raised to respect others, I don't find it terribly offensive to expect other people (and their children) to have a little respect in return. (It's called "socialization" people, and its one of the things that differentiates us from animals.)

And I don't find much to complain about in asking kids to "use their indoor voices" in an indoor environment, especially one that might cater to MORE than kids.

I may have to start patronizing A Taste of Heaven.

God, I hate people these days.
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
What happened to "communication starts at home"? Why should a coffee shop be able to post ideas on parenting without repercussion if you feel so strongly that parental communication can't/shouldn't be legislated?

For the record, I agree with A Taste of Heaven. I just wanted to point out the inconsistencies of your arguments.
Cyfiere said…
I don't think I'm being inconsistent here, but I seem to have hit a sore spot. The coffee shop is asking for courtesy and respect for all its clients.

So no, I'm not bothered by the coffee shop. What I'm bothered by is the attitude of the parent who feels that the owner of the coffee shop is out of line in asking for this courtesy and respect.

The comments about parenting was me attempting to put my feelings on this into perspective for this discussion.