Skip to main content

HEY! I'm famous!

Well, in my mind at least.

See, a few weeks ago in Entertainment Weekly's Summer Preview issue, they had a feature on the new Batman Begins movie. In the article, they came off with this gem: "Despite the best efforts of director Joel Schumacher, the franchise lay in smoking ruins."

Unable to let that one pass (since, let's face it, Schumacher's "best efforts" were the REASON the "franchise lay in smoking ruins"), I fired off a letter to EW… only to get an email from them last week, telling me they needed to confirm my info because they were considering using my letter in an upcoming issue.

Sure enough, in this week's Entertainment Weekly (the one with Coldplay on the cover), thumb through to the letters section, and there I am! See, I CAN get published!

(Did I mention that I'm amused as hell by this? Consider it mentioned.)

SINCE you've gotta be an EW subscriber to see that link above, here's the quote from the article:

Because most fans are still nursing disappointment over the last glimpse of their hero in 1997's Batman & Robin… The critics were savage. The fanboys disgusted. And worst of all, the box office barely beat $100 million in North America. Despite the best efforts of director Joel Schumacher, the franchise lay in smoking ruins.
And here's MY response (as printed in EW):

I was laughing so hard after reading the sentence "despite the best efforts of director Joel Schumacher, the franchise lay in smoking ruins" in the Batman Begins preview that I almost couldn't finish the article ("Bat Outta Hell"). Did Daniel Fierman forget his previous paragraph when he wrote that sentence? Schumacher's the guy responsible for the pretty boy sidekick, Arnold's punishing shtick and the nipply Batsuit. If anything was responsible for the "smoking ruins" of the Batman franchise, it was Schumacher's high camp approach, one more in keeping with the 60's TV series, only without the sophisticated humor (PLEASE note the sarcasm here). He only needed to add jittery camera angles and the occasional animated Pow! and Bam! to make the image complete.

Comments