Skip to main content

We're all going to hell

Ok, so I'm as guilty of succumbing to reality TV as the next person. I've watched at least part of every season of Survivor. Dani and I watched both seasons of Temptation Island (oh my god, they did a third season?!?) and we almost got suckered into watching The Apprentice last season. The glut of dating and relationship shows has, fortunately, made nary a dent on our collective viewing (the obvious exception the previously mentioned Temptation Island) and I've got no time for crap like Fear Factor and others of its ilk.

But a while ago I was at my mother-in-law's house without a book when Dani and her mom decided to go shopping. Not seeing any real reason to subject myself to a day of shopping, I decided to just hang out at the house and watch TV or something.

So I'm channel surfing, and I come across an episode of a some show called Maximum Exposure.

Maximum Exposure (or "MAX X" as they apparently like to refer to themselves) is one of those video-clip shows that revels in mocking the Darwin Award candidates of the world. You know, gratingly annoying rock soundtrack, hyper-cheerful announcer full of mockery for the lunacy onscreen, and lots of bozos doing really stupid things, seemingly for our entertainment.

At least, that's what one would expect from MAX X. And, as far as format and presentation are concerned, that's exactly what you got, bad rock, smarmy host and all. Except for one small exception… here's a short synopsis of the episode of MAX X I managed to stumble across:
Argentina police fire tear gas and rubber bullets at protesting college students; Protesters take over construction site and throw flaming cocktails at construction workers; Underpaid nurses on hospital roof throw rocks at civilians and cops…
So instead of watching drunk frat-boys try to out stunt each other, or dumb-ass rednecks trying to prove that their car/truck/dog/whatever is bigger/better/faster than the other dumb-asses they're hanging with… we get treated to people involved in life & death struggles, protests and demonstrations, mob scenes and police actions. All scored to a kick-ass soundtrack and cynical, smart-ass commentary.

We're all going to hell. And reality TV is taking us there, kicking, screaming and laughing all the way.
 

Comments