Skip to main content

Tell me again… how is this going to work?

God cut from Dark Materials film

"The director and screenwriter of the film adaptation of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials is to remove references to God and the church in the movie."

According to Weitz, New Line expressed concern over the topics. Here's the problem… "The books tell of a battle against the church and a fight to overthrow God."

So if we take God, and the Church, out of the story for fear we'll offend someone, can someone please tell me WHAT THE HELL IS LEFT!?!

This reminds me of Exit to Eden, where someone obviously bought the rights to the book because Anne Rice was a hot property at the time and didn't realize it was a bondage novel. They ended up getting Garry Marshall to direct and turned it into a "wacky" spy comedy. But at least they kept SOME aspects of the sex storyline. For the record, it was still a god-awful movie. (Oops. I said "god"—twice now, AND didn't capitalize it! Someone somewhere is offended, I'm sure.)

Comments

Deb said…
It won't be me who is offended. May the voice of reason prevail over our land once again someday soon. Thanks for your sane thoughts. This blog is an oasis!
Cyfiere said…
an oasis of sanity in an insane world... hey, I LIKE that!

Glad to hear from you, Deb!