Skip to main content

People's Choice Awards?

"Huh?" might be the best reaction here.

I've always wondered who the hell votes for the People's Choice awards. Presumably, it's a public thing, but I never knew how the voting was done. I just knew that they were usually abysmal choices, with the most obvious—and ofttimes least deserving—nominees winning. Turns out, according to this story, that up until this year, the awards were run by the Gallup organization. No wonder I've never been in on the voting… I've never been contacted for a Gallup poll on anything.

This year, however, Entertainment Weekly has taken over the show (assuring us that the People's Choice will remain firmly ensconced in the safe zone of pop culture, I'm sure). And they've got their list of nominees here.

I'm not entirely sure how they determine their categories, nor why there's a category for "Favorite Movie" if there's a category for "Favorite Movie Drama" and "Favorite Movie Comedy" (or, for that matter, "Favorite Animated Movie"). How can one win Favorite Movie and not fall into one of those other categories, I wonder?

But what I really want to know is how they determine who the nominees are. Is there a nominating committee? Do they poll "the People" to get their nominations?

For instance, I'm fascinated by their selections for Favorite movies. The Passion of the Christ up against Finding Neverland and the Bourne Supremacy (as well as Ray and Collateral) in the Favorite Drama category? Fahrenheit 9/11 faces off The Incredibles, Shrek 2, Spiderman 2 and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for Favorite Movie? If there's rhyme or reason to these selections, I'm missing it. (Actually, I can't object to most of these films being nominated in a "favorites of 04" category. It's the utter randomness of these that gets me.)

The most amusing category, however has to be "Favorite Villains". Apparently no one actually SAW Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (their nominee for "Favorite Sequel"), since they've got Gary Oldman's "Sirius Black" nominated in the Favorite Villain category. And, as those of us cognizant of what a villain is, and who DID actually see the movie can attest… Sirius Black is NOT a villain.

Good job, guys. Can't wait to see the show.

Comments