Skip to main content

I think I need to stop mocking…

Not politics, mind you. There's just too much there to mock. But movies and other entertaining things.

See, last year I incessantly mocked Pirates of the Caribbean (a movie based on a movie ride? COME ON!). Until I saw the first trailer and realized that I really wanted to see this movie. And it turned out to be one of my favorites of the year.

Later on, I read about the new Alien DVD set (the Alien Quadrilogy) and mocked that one for being the most over-the-top DVD special edition pack yet. Until I realized that there were special edition/director cuts of each film packed into this overwhelming mass of extra content and couldn't resist buying it. And it pretty much turned out to be worth it, too! (And, after watching the extended cut of Alien3 all I have to say is that David Fincher has every right to be pissed at what they did to his film.)

THEN, just recently I read about the remake of Dawn of the Dead and thought, "really, what's the point?" I mean, the original was, as far as I can tell, simply an excuse for George Romero to revisit his classic Night of the Living Dead only this time with a budget and effects. So really, what was the point of remaking it, especially with some music video or TV commercial director behind it?

Then, of course, I saw the trailer the other night and DAMN was that creepy. So now I'm interested. Still might not be worth the price of admission (I'm loathe to give up on my preconceptions sometimes) but at least I'm interested. And it could be every bit as creepy as it looks. Which, for a zombie film, is a good thing after all.

So maybe I need to cut back on the mockery a bit. Maybe. I'll give it some thought at least.

Comments