Skip to main content
Potlatch...

Year's ago, in some story I can no longer remember, I came across the term "potlatch" used in reference to the idea of conspicuous consumption (those of you who've read my earlier Vegas entry will know where this is going). In this forgotten story, potlatch was described as "a Native American celebration wherein a large bonfire was built and the wealthiest members of the tribe would cast some prized possession (or possessions) into the fire as a way of showing how little that actual wealth mattered." In other words, they could afford to waste these possessions because they were wealthy enough to simply replace them.

As I've said, I long ago forgot the book that I read this in, but the word has stuck with me. And every time we go to Vegas and I see the Bellagio and its damn fountains, I think of that word.

Before posting this blog, I figured I'd do a little research on the word potlatch just to see if the definition I remembered is accurate.

Well, it is and it isn't. Merriam-Webster Online says it's: "a ceremonial feast of the American Indians of the northwest coast marked by the host's lavish distribution of gifts or sometimes destruction of property to demonstrate wealth and generosity with the expectation of eventual reciprocation." So yes, it is a Native American celebration (among tribes in the Northwest). And, according to the definition, sometimes destruction of property is involved. But what was left out of my original definition was the idea that these actions were done, not to simply "show off" how wealthy one was, but in the expectation of reciprocation—of eventually receiving gifts in return.

So now it seems that potlatch is even more appropriate when applied to the Fountains at Bellagio than I realized... a lavish demonstration of wealth and generosity (a free water show in the middle of the desert for your entertainment) with the expectation of eventual reciprocation (you’re going to come inside and gamble here, leaving large sums of money behind as your gift to us for providing said lavish demonstration of wealth and generosity).

Who knew the folks at Bellagio could be so in tune with Native American traditions?

(If you're really interested in the whole potlatch idea, you can find more info on it here... UW Libraries Digital Collection)

Comments