Skip to main content

A Painfully Dumb Movie

 Coming, as it does, from Happy Madison productions, one should not be surprised to find the Out-Laws playing hard to the comedy lowest common denominator. But seriously, this one really scrapes bottom. 

I started watching the other day due to a dearth of other appealing options (everything else on my multiple watch lists seemed too heavy, deep, dark or just unappealing at the time), so I opted for the dumb movie. And after a relatively short time, I found myself stuck watching it from shear "are you kidding" me incredulity.  

The moment that really broke me was the armored car chase scene after their bungled second-act bank robbery. As they start fleeing the scene of the crime, Brosnan and Barkin's characters jump into the back of the car as Devine, complete with Shrek mask/makeup running down his face, drives. AND, of course, as he pulls away, they leave the back doors of the car open, so that the money can fly out over the course of the chase that follows. I'm pretty sure this was an old gag back in the Keystone Kops days, so for them to unironically play this out over an extended chase scene was just too much for me. I hate watched the rest of the movie, wondering what other stupidity I'd witness. 

There were, however, two bits that I did find amusing. So to give them the credit I think they're due...

First are the Doberman/Miniature Pinscher scenes. Devine is sneaking around an estate to try and learn something (I'd honestly stopped paying attention to plot details, already) and we get a cut to a Doberman perking up its ears. Clearly this is one of the guard dogs and it's noticed something suspicious. Moments later, Devine blunders out of his hiding place and, he's suddenly pursued... by a pack of miniature pinschers... which, despite the name and physical similarities, have no relation to their relatively gigantic namesake. I have to admit that visual joke really did work for me. And I didn't even mind when they milked it for laughs in the following scenes. 

The other moment that worked for me was when Julie Haggerty's up-tight mom (she's Devine's "normal" mom in the film) reveals, during dinner with the family (both sets of parents and the soon to be married couple), her escapades years before in an orgy, one where Dan Marino was a commanding presence. Don't get me wrong... the scene is not great. But she commits to it with a vengeance and sells it so well, that I had to laugh. 

Neither of these are a reason to recommend this movie. But should you find yourself stuck watching it, keep an eye out for these moments, as they might save the experience for you. . 


Comments