Skip to main content

You can pry my Starbucks...

I have to say, I am SO tired of the lame "how difficult is it to order coffee at Starbucks" shtick. Comedians have been riffing on it for years and Steve Martin mocked that whole coffee culture vibe in L. A. Story in 1991.

So now, since it's no longer comedy fodder, it seems to have moved into the realm of the anti-elitist, "don't go thinking you're better than me 'cause you drink expensive coffee" crowd. You know, the one's cheering Glen Beck on for his brilliant witticisms.

So Adam Carolla's been doing live podcasts the past couple of months, and they've been talking them up on KROQ lately, so I downloaded a few to check out last week. I like Carolla when he's on KROQ and find his "Week in Rage" rants pretty amusing.

The podcasts are a different beast. They're your basic talk show format… Carolla comes on, riffs for a few minutes on whatever topics the audience throws at him, then brings in his guests. They chat, and hilarity (hopefully) ensues.

Unfortunately, said hilarity is dependent on a) his guests and b) your sense of humor.

As I mentioned, I find Carolla amusing on KROQ, when he's got a bunch of people in the studio with him. I listened to his February 15th show from the Ontario Improv, where I found him to be less amusing, less "on top of it" and I got bored rather quickly. I stuck it out into the interviews, just to see what the rest of the show was like, but his shtick, so far, had left me cold.

About his third or fourth guest in and I was just about done. Then he brought out Frank Stallone. I'm not a huge fan of the Stallones (I'm not sure if that has anything to do with working in Sylvester's restaurant for years, or just their whole demeanor and manner, but I think I'll opt for the latter). Frankly (pun intended), Frank wasn't amusing, entertaining, or anybody I had any interest in listening to.

Just before I found something interesting to switch to, Frank goes off on the Starbucks crowd… "what the f are they up to with their 'soy chai lattes' and their 'half-caff mochas' and crap like that. Order some f'ing coffee and get outta the way!" (I'm SO paraphrasing here, in case you do go back and listen to the podcast, despite my warnings.)

And all I could think was "Hey, stugots… if all you're looking for is a damn cuppa coffee, what the hell are you doing standing in line at the Starbucks? Take your arrogant, 'why can't you drink real coffee' attitude, schlep yourself over to the nearest 7-11 and let those of us who don't share your tastes enjoy our choice of coffee without having to meet with your petty approval."

I'm not overreacting, am I?
 

Comments