Skip to main content

Sometimes I hate Downey

We moved out of Hollywood several years ago when it came time to buy a house. Short of winning Lotto, selling that screenplay that's been moldering on my hard drive for years, or getting discovered doing waiver Shakespeare, there was no way we were buying in our neighborhood at that time.

When we moved, we expected we'd miss a lot of things. The cool neighborhood we lived in, the coffeeshops, bars and restaurants all within walking distance, the 'life' of the city… turns out that not having to worry about finding a parking space after 6 PM alleviated that need to be able to walk to the cool stuff, and that most of the things we thought we were going to miss we really didn't notice. And not having to deal with the afore-mentioned parking issues, and the daily nightmare that IS driving in LA, tended to outweigh a lot of those lingering doubts.

But every once in a while, I get slapped in the face with how 'suburban' it can get here. Take today. I've got a vacation day, and not a lot that I 'need' to do. So one of the things I could do is go catch a movie.

Now, if want to see:
Twilight (nope)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (Will see this one with Dani)
Four Christmases (Been there, done that)
Bolt (Maybe, with Dani)
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (Seen it. Cute.)
Australia (Again, maybe with Dani. I'm still waiting for a review that convinces me I should see it.)
Quantum of Solace (Seen it. Loved it.)
Transporter 3 (Seen it. MUCH better than I expected)
Cadillac Records (nope)
Punisher: War Zone
(You're kidding, right?)
Delgo (Ditto my last comment)
Nothing Like the Holidays (Hey, three in a row!)
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (wow, the end of this list really sucks)
There are literally dozens of theatres to choose from.

Golden Globe nominations were announced yesterday. Several nominated films are out in limited release. Of those…
Doubt, Gran Torino, Frost/Nixon, the Reader: 2 theatres each, the nearest 15 miles away. In our old neighborhood.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: 1 theater. 15 miles. Guess where.

Maybe there's somethig decent at Blockbuster. *sigh*
 

Comments