Skip to main content

Mac Zealotry

If you use a PC* today, you likely know this person. You've probably got at least one friend that's in the cult of Apple, and mocks your bad decision-making on a regular basis. The Mac faithful are quick to extol the virtues of their chosen platform and gleefully seek to enlighten you as to why you should agree with them. (Of course, sharing articles like this one with those Mac faithful tend to fall on deaf ears.) And god help you if they're new to Macs. There's nothing more fervent than a recent convert.

What I find amusing about this discussion is the notion that a) the Mac is somehow, inherently, the correct/best choice for personal computing and b) all it takes is to use a Mac and this will be immediately apparent. There's an assumption that the PC user simply doesn't know any better, and the Mac user is simply trying to help him see the light. This, of course, is flawed logic, but not too surprising coming from the Mac camp.

The funny thing is, I've always considered myself rather platform-agnostic. I use both Mac & PC at work and see the strengths of both. I am not passionately invested in either platform and use the one that makes the most sense to me for the purposes to which I put it.

I've gotten tired of arguing the point, so I figured I'd enumerate my reasons here and, next time I get into one of these tiresome conversations, I'll just point 'em this way. If nothing else, the threat of having to go blog-surfing should shut 'em up.

The Mac Mouse
The Mac mouse is my personal metaphor for everything I dislike about Macs. The mouse on my PC has 8 buttons, and I use all of them. Admittedly, this is an "after market" mouse, but even the most basic PC mouse these days comes with 3 buttons and a scroll wheel. Mac mouse? The pinnacle of the one button mouse. So, let me get this straight… one of your primary means of interfacing with your computer has been nerfed down to one single button so that even simple right-click actions require the use of the keyboard? Where the hell is the convenience and usability in that concept? I understand the urge to keep the interface simple, but this is short-bus simple. Admittedly, now that the USB mouse is the de facto mouse standard, this is less of an issue than it was a few years ago, and the last time I plugged a USB mouse into the Mac at my desk it worked flawlessly, but it's the fact that I have to buy a mouse to get something as simple as right-click functionality that drives me nuts. (And while I'm complaining about interfacing with the Mac, let me spare a moment for the Mac interface itself. I'm not entirely sure what it is about it, but it just seems kind of 'soft around the edges' to me. Maybe it's the cute little bobbing icons for programs that want your attention, or the 'headshake' animation when you log in incorrectly. Whatever it is, I always feel like I'm working on a PC with training wheels.)

Software
First off, I've got thousands of dollars in PC software loaded to our systems at home. Migrating to the Mac would entail having to repurchase all of that software, at original install costs, or delving into the depths of software piracy, a course I choose to avoid. As for your software choices themselves, once upon a time (back when you couldn't just plug that USB mouse into your Mac, I suppose) there was a definite difference between the Mac and PC, especially when it came to graphics and 'creative' software. I don't know about the high-end stuff these days, but the stuff I use regularly — Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, for starters — are functionally the same on both operating systems. And my dual core processor stands up just fine to any Mac I've been on. (Finally, let's face it, since the Mac is using Intel processors, is there any point in arguing processor speed/performance issues?)

Viruses
I actually had someone use this on me the other day. Macs are better because you don't have to ever worry about computer viruses, thanks to the underlying UNIX architecture. All I can say to that is "whatever". That's the equivalent of giving up sex because you're afraid of STDs. Slap on a condom and shut up, loser! I've got virus software running on my PC and everything's working just fine. I'm not running a server farm, where I need to be concerned about a virus taking down my company. I'm protected and I'm not worried about it.

Cost
I've priced Macs and from what I've seen, pound for pound, laptop to desktop, they're simply more expensive than comparable PCs… enough so as to make it a bone of contention in the choice to 'go Mac'. Add to that the proprietary nature of the platform, and the difficulty in upgrading components (a practice I indulge in regularly) and I'm again left wondering why I'm having this argument.

Gaming
This really is the clincher. Any discussion about the merits of the Mac vs. PC needs to start with the simple question: "What do you use your computer for?" If the answer includes gaming, then the answer is going to be PC. Peruse this list for a few moments and you should get some understanding of that answer. As a PC gamer in today's Console-centric gaming world, you're already marginalized when it comes to release titles. (A-List titles that don't get a simultaneous PC/Console release can take upwards of a year — if ever — to get said PC release. And then you're always at risk of the dreaded bad console port.) So why would you chose to further marginalize your hobby by cozying up to a difficult-to-upgrade, more expensive to own, piece of proprietary electronics to play the limited selection of games that actually get ported again over to the Mac?

There's a parallel to the Harley Davidson/Japanese motorcycle debate. Yamahas and Hondas are fine motorcycles, easy to care for, powerful & fun to ride and relatively simple to operate. Harleys, on the other hand, are expensive to maintain and need a lot of hands-on care to keep them at their best. But ask any Harley rider to trade for one of those "rice-burners" and you could get yourself beat up.

PC users aren't likely to beat you up over this. (Although sometimes…)

But god are we all tired of the Mac fanaticism.



*I was sent a link to this article last week. In the end, I've had to agree with my Mac friend that, while I appreciate the sentiment, this is a ship that's already sailed. The "PC" noun has been subjected to some kind of reverse genericization — as Xerox has gone from brand name to verb, PC has gone from generic term for any personal computer to the specific Windows PC. So, while technically the author's correct and a Mac IS a PC, let's face it — the fact that "nuclear" is pronounced "ˈnü-klē-ər," hasn't stopped Webster's from including this pronunciation: "nyü-, ÷-kyə-lər". It's a battle we've already lost.
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Q here...

Bottom line, Macs are simple. The UI is the best. I ended up buying one for Karen because it's easier for her to 'get'. For non-tech-geeks, the Mac is easier to 'get'. Unless you have a problem...then, you're screwed.

BTW, you CAN partition a Mac HD with windows and play games on the partition. Though, most Mac users don't know how to do this.

I am a proud tech-geek. Therefore, I use a PC. I have more versatility, upgradeability, flexability, and power (I overclock). And, my games kick ass.

If you buy a Mac (for a lot more money) you are stuck with THAT computer. You can't fuck with it.
Cyfiere said…
EXACTLY my point (well, among many, I guess). Tech-geeks must stand together.

And yeah, I know about running Windows on Macs. But back to the original point… you're still stuck with the Mac you bought.