Skip to main content

Pinkberry. Latest meme... or insidious new drug?

I've never heard of Pinkberry before today. (I'm more geek-trendy these days than pop culture trendy.) But apparently, this is the latest legal drug of choice.

Let's face it, they only sell 2 flavors ('regular' and 'green tea') and are what sounds like stupid expensive ($9 for a large with toppings… that's nearly twice what Coldstone Creamery charges for ICE CREAM, and this stuff isn't even frozen yogurt). Suddenly you've got people lining up dozens deep to buy this stuff? This is one serious meme.

Unless, of course, the secret ingredient (and maybe the reason the FDA won't let them call their product frozen yogurt) is some heretofore undiscovered incredibly addictive element that they've innocuously slipped into the recipe. Judging from the number of people calling in to KROQ this morning to say they couldn't understand it, but after one trip to Pinkberry's they just couldn't get enough of it, I'm kinda tending toward the latter.

I'm just saying.

(Just as an aside, I was at lunch this past Thursday with several people from work. I had to stifle a laugh when one of them asked our server if the new Pinkberry was open yet.)
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
What the hell is it? 0 fat, only 5g of sugar per ounce, and people can't get enough??

By God, I think you're right!

Q
Cyfiere said…
"Only" 5g of sugar? That's more sugar per ounce than a Dr. Pepper! My nutritionist keeps harping on the fact that watching fat without watching the sugar is useless, since excess sugar turns into fat. (Or something along those lines… I'm always foggy on the details.) But I DO know you've gotta watch the sugar intake.
Anonymous said…
I didn't think of it that way. Yeah...I guess 5g PER OUNCE can add up.

Your nutritionist???!!
Cyfiere said…
Borderline diabetic. I get to count sugar (well, carbs and sugars) a LOT. Hence the nutritionist.