Skip to main content

See the world… Join the CIA!

OK, it's not that I'm mocking the idea of recruiting for the CIA. Good intelligence is exactly what we need to minimize the threat of terrorism (not to mention what a little dose of decent intelligence could do for Washington).

But I'm kind of amused by the latest ad campaign I've seen on TV and heard (incessantly) on the radio lately. Are we sure Joe Shmoe listening to KROQ is really the "exceptional person with a strong sense of patriotism" the CIA is looking for? I honestly think I was more comfortable with the thought of CIA spooks skulking around college campuses and hand-picking their recruits. At least there's a sense that there's some process involved here. Not just "throw open the doors… we'll see what sticks!"

And let's face it… there's gotta be some sense of irony in the thought of the National Clandestine Service advertising for spies.

Comments