Skip to main content

B.S. DVD releases

So I saw what I HOPED was a good trend in DVD releases last month when Constantine came out on DVD. Side-by-side on the shelf were the basic, all you really get is the movie, DVD and the "super deluxe, get all the extras you can handle" edition. Just interested in the movie? Buy the standard release. Feeling obsessive and want all the extras? Pay a few bucks more and get that special edition. No more rushing to the store and finding a stripped down version the only one that's available and then having to wait months or more for the studio to get around to releasing the obsessive/completist Special Edition version (yes, I'm a DVD-extras junkie).

Unfortunately, if it IS a new trend, it's one that's in its infancy and it hasn't translated to the release of Sin City on DVD. I really liked this movie in the theatres and was really looking forward to getting it, now that it's out on DVD. And hey, I get my choice of 4 DIFFERENT COVERS! Woo hoo!

Of course, those 4 covers are just there to distract you from the fact that this is one of the most barebones DVD releases I've seen in a while. You get the movie (a plus!) and a "making of" featurette. That's it. Damn, not even movie trailers (not that I really care, but you'd figure that would be a no-brainer). So it's obvious, to me at least, that there's a Special Edition version in the offing (maybe in time for Christmas or some other, equally "important" marketing date) and it looks like I'm just going to have to wait for that version.

I am SO tired of this "tiered" release BS. Get 'em all excited, drop the minimal DVD content you can a few months after the movie, then follow up later on with the special edition. The truly obsessive-compulsive types out there will end up buying both and we get to make more money off them! Damn, I hate marketing.
 

Comments